The best alloy wheel cleaners. Alloy wheels are a common feature in modern cars, and maintaining their shine and appearance is crucial to keep them looking good for longer. One way to keep alloy wheels clean is by using an alloy wheel cleaner. These products are specially formulated to clean and protect alloy wheels, and they come in different types and strengths. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the best alloy wheel cleaners, the different types, and what to look for when choosing the right one.
Types of Alloy Wheel Cleaners
Alloy wheel cleaners come in different types, with different strengths and applications. Here are some of the most common types of alloy wheel cleaners:
- Acid-Based Cleaners: These are the most potent type of alloy wheel cleaners and are effective in removing stubborn dirt and grime. They work by dissolving brake dust, grease, and other contaminants. Acid-based cleaners are not suitable for all types of wheels, especially those with delicate finishes, such as polished or anodized aluminum.
- Alkaline Cleaners: Alkaline cleaners are less potent than acid-based cleaners but still effective in removing dirt and grime. They are less likely to cause damage to the wheels and are safe for most types of finishes.
- pH-Neutral Cleaners: These are the mildest type of alloy wheel cleaners, and they are safe for use on all types of wheels. They work by breaking down dirt and grime and lifting them from the wheel’s surface.
What to Look for When Choosing an Alloy Wheel Cleaner
When choosing an alloy wheel cleaner, there are several factors to consider. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Type of Wheels: Consider the type of wheels you have and choose a cleaner that is safe for them. Acid-based cleaners are not suitable for delicate finishes, while pH-neutral cleaners may not be effective in removing stubborn dirt.
- Strength: If your wheels are heavily soiled, you’ll need a cleaner that is potent enough to remove the dirt and grime effectively.
- Ease of Use: Look for a cleaner that is easy to use and apply. A spray-on formula with a trigger nozzle is often the most convenient.
- Price: Alloy wheel cleaners come at different price points, so choose one that fits your budget. However, keep in mind that a higher-priced cleaner may offer better quality and better results.
Benefits of Using a Quality Alloy Wheel Cleaner
Using a quality alloy wheel cleaner comes with several benefits, including:
- Keeping your wheels looking good: A quality alloy wheel cleaner will keep your wheels looking their best by removing dirt, grime, and other contaminants.
- Preventing damage: Regular cleaning with an alloy wheel cleaner can prevent damage to your wheels, such as corrosion or pitting.
- Saving money: Regular cleaning with a quality alloy wheel cleaner can extend the life of your wheels, which can save you money in the long run.
Alloy wheel cleaners are a great way to keep your wheels looking their best. When choosing the right one, consider the type of wheels you have, the strength of the cleaner, ease of use, and price. By using a quality alloy wheel cleaner, you can protect your wheels from damage and keep them looking great for years to come.
Our top ten alloy wheel cleaners
Here is a list of the best alloy wheel cleaners we have tried with Amazon links.
- Autoglym Clean Wheels
- CarPlan Demon Universal Wheel Cleaner Brake Dust Dirt Remover
- Wonder Wheels Colour Change Super Wheel Cleaner
- Bilt Hamber BH-AW1 Auto Wheel Cleaner
- Gtechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover for Cars
- Williams Racing – Heavy Duty Non-Acidic Wheel Cleaner
- Chemical Guys (CLD_203_16) Signature Series Blue Wheel Cleaner
- Sonax 1837512 Xtreme Wheel Cleaner
- Pro-Kleen Troll’s Breath – Safe to use on all Wheel Types – pH Neutral
- VEHICULUX Rim Cleaner
Tips on how to use alloy wheel cleaner
Alloy wheel cleaners are a great tool for keeping your wheels looking their best. However, using them properly is essential to get the best results and prevent damage to your wheels. Here are some tips on how to use alloy wheel cleaner effectively:
- Choose the Right Cleaner: As mentioned earlier, there are different types of alloy wheel cleaners, so it’s essential to choose the right one for your wheels. Consider the type of wheels you have and the level of cleaning strength you need.
- Clean Your Wheels Regularly: Regular cleaning is crucial to prevent dirt and grime from building up on your wheels. It’s best to clean your wheels at least once a week, or more frequently if you drive on dusty or muddy roads.
- Use Protective Gloves: Alloy wheel cleaners are often acidic, and prolonged exposure can damage your skin. It’s a good idea to wear protective gloves when using the cleaner to protect your skin.
- Read the Instructions: Before using an alloy wheel cleaner, read the instructions carefully. Some cleaners require dilution with water, while others are ready-to-use. Follow the instructions carefully to ensure that you use the cleaner correctly.
- Apply the Cleaner: Apply the cleaner to the wheel and allow it to sit for a few minutes. The time required will depend on the strength of the cleaner and the level of dirt and grime on your wheels.
- Scrub the Wheel: After the cleaner has sat for a few minutes, use a soft-bristled brush or sponge to scrub the wheel. Avoid using a brush with hard bristles, as this can damage the surface of the wheel.
- Rinse the Wheel: After scrubbing, rinse the wheel with water to remove the cleaner and any remaining dirt and grime. Use a high-pressure hose if possible to ensure that all the cleaner and dirt is removed.
- Dry the Wheel: After rinsing, dry the wheel thoroughly with a clean, dry cloth to prevent water spots.
- Apply a Protectant: After cleaning and drying your wheels, consider applying a protectant to keep them looking great for longer. A wheel protectant will provide a layer of protection against dirt and grime, and can also add a shine to your wheels.
In conclusion, using an alloy wheel cleaner is an excellent way to keep your wheels looking their best. By choosing the right cleaner, cleaning your wheels regularly, and following these tips, you can effectively clean your wheels and prevent damage to them. With proper maintenance, your wheels will continue to look great for years to come.
In conclusion, alloy wheel cleaners are an essential tool for maintaining the appearance of your car’s wheels. They come in different types and strengths, so it’s important to consider the type of wheels you have and the level of cleaning strength you need. Whether you choose an acid-based, alkaline, or pH-neutral cleaner, using a quality alloy wheel cleaner will not only keep your wheels looking great but can also prevent damage and save you money in the long run. When choosing a cleaner, consider factors such as ease of use, price, and customer reviews. With the right alloy wheel cleaner and regular maintenance, your wheels will continue to look their best for years to come.
What to learn more? We’ve written a another article on 28 Essential pieces of car valeting equipment.